Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

"What is human life?

...The first third a good time; the rest remembering about it." Mark Twain



With Father's Day fast approaching I thought I'd give you a sneak-peak into my book.  For those who love to read, love family, and love life, this could be just what the doctor ordered for some summertime reading!

Prologue






I awoke in the darkness listening to the sound of a jack hammer. After a few moments, I realized it was me, the jack hammer, my heart. Fear engulfed me and I remained still wondering why my heart was pounding so heavily in my ears. Where was I? The room was dark, and except for the throbbing of my heart, silence ensued. I felt beads of sweat running down the sides of my forehead, but I dared not move my head. As I shifted my eyes to the left then to the right, shadows began to form. It was only then that I realized where I was …

As my eyes focused further, I saw my husband Charlie lying beside me. Only then did the jack hammer in my ears begin to subside. We were still on vacation at my in-laws’ house. Realizing that and seeing my husband beside me relaxed me enough to begin piecing together the very thoughts that had awoken me.

In the middle of the night, most people wish to be able to sleep soundly; I was now thrilled to be wide awake. Details started flashing in my mind, and I didn’t like what my mind’s eye was revealing. Morning couldn’t come fast enough now, for in the light of day all things looked better, didn’t they? A dream, that’s what it was, right? Actually, it was more like a nightmare. Realizing it as such, I tried to go back to sleep, but to no avail. No matter how long I lay there, I couldn’t get the chilling thoughts out of my mind. The daunting part was that this nightmare seemed so real. So real, in fact, that before I knew it, I would consider this nightmare a vision.

In this vision, I was having a conversation with my grandfather. Instantly, I saw him standing near me, talking. Ironically, I’ve had millions of conversations with him over the years ranging from light banter to profoundly deep, but none as foretelling as this one. In this revelation, my grandfather was explaining to me that he was going to die. Even now this thought makes me shudder. To say he was going to die was certainly out of character for him. My grandfather loved life, and death was very rarely ever discussed. He survived WWII and knew how precious life was. Another flash and I see Grandpa speaking to his father. Now I was truly perplexed, seeing as my great-grandfather had died some years before. Their conversation continued, discussing how important it was that "the others" did not fight after grandpa died like they had when my great-grandfather passed away. From memories past, I figured out "the others" referred to my grandpa’s sisters and brother who caused Grandpa great agony after their father’s death.

In the next instant, Grandpa was speaking to me again, reassuring me that, even though he had to die, things would be okay. This inimitable nightmare seemed endless, but finally I was able to calm myself down recognizing it for what it was—a horrible dream—or was it?


For more about the book "My Hero, My Ding" Click HERE! or look at the side panels for more details and options.

Remember my book and audio CD are on sale between now and Father's Day.  And if you buy before July 1st you can win a FREE Kindle reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment