Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Is It Really Awesome?

When we overuse words in our language they become less effective and eventually  can even lose their original intended meaning.  The one word that comes to mind today is the word AWESOME!  It is so over-used that it doesn't have the same impact it had years ago.
Today we hear that food is awesome, that car is awesome, those shoes are awesome, saying the word awesome is awesome and so on and so forth.  I'm sure you can think of many other examples.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines awesome as:

 1 : expressive of awe <awesome tribute>
2  : inspiring awe <an awesome task>


And it defines awe as:

 : an emotion variously combining dread, veneration, and wonder that is inspired by authority or by the sacred or sublime <stood in awe of the king> <regard nature's wonders with awe>


For myself, I find many foods delicious, and some disgusting, but never awesome.  Cars can be reliable, get good mileage, be a classic, or just be a dud, but never awesome.  As far as shoes are concerned, if I find a comfortable pair that fits I'm just happy, not in awe.

Are there some things that make me stand in awe and wonder? Sure there are...



 

A Newborn baby!

The Grand Canyon

Glaciers in Alaska

Mackinaw Sunset



All I can say now is...




(What leaves you is awe?)

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I use awesome a lot... I think... But maybe that is because my knowledge of the English language is limited :)
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete