Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Anonymous? Yeah...right!

The meanings of words these days certainly seem to have a "sliding scale".   The CTU (Chicago Teachers Union) just commissioned a survey through the University of Illinois to get a better understanding of what comprises a teacher's workload throughout the year.  Stated very clearly at the beginning is that this survey is ANONYMOUS.  My first mistake was thinking I understood what anonymous means. I now looked it up to double-check and I was right... lacking individuality, unique character, or distinction.  (Obviously, the union has a different definition.)

So, I spent 30 minutes trying to carefully answer questions accurately only to get to the last page and see statements that REQUIRE (this word they know the meaning of) you to complete the following information or your survey cannot be submitted. 

  • Area you teach...elementary, middle, high school, etc.
  • Grade and/or subject that you teach
  • Name of your school (FULL name please)
  • How many years you've been teaching at CPS
  • Type in the four-digit year of your birth (but if you don't want to answer that one you could put in XXXX) Aren't they thoughtful?
  • Gender
  • Race/Ethnicity
Now I've played 20 questions when I was a kid, how long do you think it would take for someone to figure this out.

Who am I?

I have no problem with stating who I am, but don't falsely advertise or promote anonymity when obviously that's not the case. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment