Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

What "dating" meant in the 1940's


~Boy have times changed~


I want to take you back to a time shortly before the United States got involved in WWII.  My grandparents met, and my grandfather was courting my grandmother. 




As Grandpa used to tell it,  when he would call on Grandma for a date, that "date" always consisted of three people...Grandpa, Grandma and a chaperone (usually my great-grandmother).  After "dating" for awhile, they realized that wedding bells were in their future.



So, that year on Valentine's Day my grandparents got engaged! 
It was also that year on Valentine's Day my grandparents were able to go out on a date... alone.

They were married 50 years!


With Valentine's Day just a wake-up away and
in honor of my grandparents, love, and being married for 22 years to my wonderful husband,
I am giving away an autographed copy of
My Hero, My  Ding to a lucky winner! 



To enter, simply send an email to lisatortsbook@ameritech.net
In the Subject line type: Valentine

A winner will be picked at random on February 15th.

Happy Valentine's Day!

 







1 comment:

  1. I remember things such as when walking with your date, the male always walked on the outside of a sidewalk...closest to the street. You NEVER...pulled up to a date's house an beeped the horn and always walked her to the front door. I wonder if the young adults still do this stuff?

    ReplyDelete