Pages

Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Next Big Thing


Amanda Stephan, author of  Lonely Hearts and The Price of Trust has invited me to participate in a blog event: The Next Big Thing (TNBT). The event consists of 10 questions about an author’s current WIP (work in progress.) Here’s the plan:


A. Answer the ten TNBT questions listed below about your current WIP.


B. Tag five other writers and link their blogs so we can all hop over and read their answers.


It’s that simple.


Top Ten Questions for TNBT (The Next Big Thing)



1. What is the title of your book/WIP?
Well, the ink on my second book is just drying.  My latest work "The Moose at the Manger" was just released on June 26th.  I do not have a title for a new book/WIP (work in progress) just yet, but more of a theme I am trying to hash out with a moose as the main character in a series of children's books.






2.
Where did the idea for the book come from? 
The moose idea was truly a gift from a friend of ours.  Back in 1993, our friend Judy bought us a stuffed animal moose for Christmas.  The name on his sweater read Chris, and we thought how fitting to have a ChrisMoose at Christmastime.  So, we added a middle name and Chris Mas Moose became our first, but not the last, moose in our humble abode.  You could read more about Chris' beginnings on my website by clicking this link http://mooseatthemanger.tateauthor.com/moose-of-the-month/.  
We have collected moose ever since this time and now have well over 200 of them.



3. Under what genre would your book fall? 
The Moose at the Manger is a children's book - one that children will enjoy reading on their own, as well as, having adults read to them especially during the Christmas season.  This is a story that can be enjoyed year after year.


4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I can see my children's story as a cartoon.  I have two main characters Muse the Moose and Star Bright (the brightest star in the sky) both of whom are female characters.  I am open to suggestions as to what female voices would be good for my characters. :)



5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Muse the Moose realizes the true meaning of Christ's birth when she becomes an eyewitness on that very first Christmas Day.





6. Is your book published or represented?

My book is published through Tate Publishing and Enterprises out of Oklahoma.





7. How long did it take you to write?

Interestingly, I worked out the storyline while my husband and I were sitting in the Waiting Area waiting for our car to get an oil change and check up.  Once I had the storyline, it took me just a few days to write the story all out.  Of course, I then spent a couple  of months going over it, refining it, putting it away for awhile, and coming back to it to look at again with fresh eyes.  Once I thought it was in good shape I had my husband and my good friend Judy read it too before sending it off for a professional opinion.


8. To what other books within your genre would you compare your story?

I would not compare it to one particular children's book, but to common themes that run through many children's books - such themes as being afraid when lost, reaching out to help a friend, having a loving family, and understanding the true meaning of Christmas.


9. Which authors inspired you to write this book? 

I think authors in general inspired me to write this book, as well as, my first book My Hero, My Ding.  I am an avid reader and find different styles of writing to be quite interesting. 
I admired Jim Henson's work with The Muppets since I was a child and I think that is where the idea of having the moose take on a human-like persona came from. 






10. Tell us anything else that might pique our interest in your book.

Well, the title itself is quite interesting "The Moose at the Manger".  Many people raise an eyebrow as if to question if this was really so.  My thought is, who is to say there was not a moose at the manger? Moreover, once you read the story, you will know how it really could have happened. 



And now, here are 5 great authors you will want to keep an eye on!

http://www.funwithaileen.com/ Aileen Stewart (Children's Author)

http://www.faithhtydings.blogspot.com/ Faith Tydings (Children's Author)

http://doreenmcgettigan.com/ Doreen McGettigan (Memoir, Non-fiction Author)

http://tomblubaugh.net/ Tom Blubaugh (Christian Author)

http://princeandyandthemisfits.wordpress.com/ Karen Gammons (Fantasy/Adventure Fiction)

Authors, 
Here is the full list of TNBT questions for you to copy and paste to your blog along with your answers. Just tag five awesome writers and add their links so we can all follow along.

1. What is the title of your book/WIP?

2. Where did the idea for the book come from?

3. Under what genre would your book fall?

4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

6. Is your book published or represented?

7. How long did it take you to write?

8. To what other books within your genre would you compare your story?

9. Which authors inspired you to write this book?

10. Tell us anything else that might pique our interest in your book.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Lisa!! I'm sorry it took me so long to get here..I have been using my phone and it is SO hard to read blogs. I will get these answered asap!! I enjoyed your answers.

    ReplyDelete