Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Only in Amerika

As the news about 15 year old girls being able to purchase the morning-after pills without a prescription and without parental permission continues to spread across media outlets, my blood pressure continues to rise.

Recently I had a very bad sinus infection that required a doctor's visit and lots of medication.  Most of the medication was prescription, but one of them wasn't.  Now a little over a month later, it seems my sinuses just don't want to give up, so I figured I would start off with the NON-prescription, OVER THE COUNTER medication that my doctor recommended.  I don't know why, but the "over the counter" label on Claritin-D made me think I can actually purchase the medication, well, OVER THE COUNTER.



But, as I would soon find out after leaving early for work and going to two different pharmacies...

1) You can only buy Claritin D over the counter when handed to you over the counter by a pharmacist and then he needs a Driver's License to copy down all of your personal information lest I be a meth-head or something. (Voting, in this country, should be such a protected right, as my right to purchase cold medicine!)

2) Pharmacists don't start their day before me, so I had to leave work during my break to make a third trip for my NON-prescription, OVER THE COUNTER drugs.

Let's compare:

Me:  of legal age, does not require a guardian, holds a job, responsible, and an ADULT

15 year old:  under age, requires a legal guardian, may have a part-time job, responsible? (not if she is having sex), a CHILD

So I have to jump through hoops, while the child gets to go down the aisle where the condoms and lubricants are and purchase a morning-after pill.



I've heard again and again that before the actual purchase, the child will have to prove she is 15 years of age...with what??? She doesn't have a driver's license or a voter registration card because she is TOO YOUNG.

I almost threw out my receipt from my Claritin-D, but as I went to crumple it up I noticed yet another Federal Law - It is written in all CAPS on the receipt. so it must be important.

FEDERAL LAW LIMITS THE SALE OF PSEUDOEPHEDRINE PRODUCTS TO NO MORE THAN 3.6 GRAMS PER PERSON PER DAY AND LIMITS AN INDIVIDUAL'S PURCHASE TO 9 GRAMS OR LESS PER 30 DAY PERIOD.  SOME STATES ARE MORE RESTRICTIVE.

Do you think the restrictions on the morning-after pill will even come close?

My father-in-law, a WWII veteran, always said...we will lose this country without a single shot being fired. Unfortunately, his words ring truer and truer each day.




No comments:

Post a Comment