Pages

Friday, August 30, 2013

The Heat Was ON!



I have read lots of comments about people not having air conditioning in schools when they were growing up and I admit, I too, was one of those students.  I also remember going back to school after Labor Day and getting out of school by the middle of June.  While temperatures can still be hot at this time, they normally don't stay that way for days on end.

This week the lowest temperature in my classroom was 83 degrees but hung at a steady 88-89 degrees most of the afternoons (and that's with four fans on). There's nothing like a classroom filled with sweaty adolescence.  Now, I know it gets hot in Chicago in August, but if Rahm didn't change the calendar to start this early, we'd have a much better chance of keeping things cool in the classrooms.  Just look at the forecast following Labor Day.



I kept hearing on TV that the schools had a cooling plan, so I had to inquire about that when I got to work. The cooling plan was as follows:


  • Open all your windows
  • Open classroom door to get a breeze
  • Close all your blinds
  • Close your classroom lights


First off, I can't believe someone created that plan.  Secondly, did you ever see a classroom with all the lights off and all the blinds closed.? There's not much learning going on if you can't see.  So,  I decided to be like Motel 6 and I left the lights on for the children. I also closed the blinds...well, the few that actually work!



We survived...the week is over...and Labor Day weekend is here!

Now it is time to...
 CELEBRATE AND ENJOY!










2 comments:

  1. I just can't understand why schools don't start after Labor Day. The weather is different now than it was when I was growing up. My older brother and my b-day's are both in the beginning of June. Growing up by our b-days summer was in full swing. Now, you can't count on real, hot summer weather until about the 3rd week of June. Why not go back to staying in school until mid-June and starting after Labor Day? Oh, because that make sense, and that kind of thinking will get you nowhere as far as the school board is concerned! Happy Labor Day!

    Paul R. Hewlett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone remember when the boys had to wear ties in school? Yes every day. As I recall from June 1st until the end of the school year, usually the 3rd week of the month, the rule was lifted. No ties and open shirt collars, that's how we handled the heat in the good old days.

    ReplyDelete