We had to suffer through terrible things like -
- Following school rules or facing your parents when you got home
- Following directions in class in order to complete your work
- Learning to read by actually reading - if the material was too hard, you worked to rise to the occasion, often times with help from parents, instead of having the bar lowered for you
- Learning math facts by rote and having to work out problems without a calculator
- Bringing your own materials to class
- Being respectful and responsible
Oh yeah, that's right...
This is exactly why we were able to succeed!