Pages

Monday, September 29, 2014

Never Turn Your Back on a WHAT?

I watch The Incredible Dr. Pol show all the time, and I thought it would be interesting to read his story.  I learned lots of facts I didn't know about both small and large animals and watching the show helped to understand some of the procedures described in the book.  I learned some interesting facts like dogs have many more blood types than humans, and it is rare for cows to have twins. I did sit there making faces when Dr. Pol described having to cut a dead calf into pieces while still inside the mother in order to save the mom's life. And he spends more time inside the back end of animals than I'd like to think about. What I liked most about the book though, was not the animal stories, but the stories about Dr. Pol and his family.

Learning about how Dr. Pol grew up during WWII in Europe was quite interesting.  He came here from the Netherlands and followed the American Dream. Dr. Pol came to America as an exchange student and stayed for a lifetime.  He got married, started his own business in his garage with his wife, and they've worked side by side ever since.  Now over 40 years later, he truly is living the American Dream. Many of his qualities remind me of my grandfather -  never be afraid of hard work, never give up, find a job you love, treat others as you want to be treated (even animals), stay grounded, and it's great to be young at heart.

If you are interested in animals or if you like reading about hard working people who came to America and became a success story, this book is worth the read.



No comments:

Post a Comment