Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2015

In the news...

While watching the news this morning, there was a segment about turning off all electronic devices (phones, iPads, gaming systems, etc.) and putting them in a box while eating dinner so families can acutally spend time talking to each other.  Right away, memories came back about dinnertime in my house as a child.  First off, there was a real dinnertime.  It wasn't 6 o'clock sharp, but it was pretty darn close.  

Who was there at dinnertime?  My family - my father, my mother, my sister and myself. Who wasn't there?  Friends and other "outsiders".  

What did we do?  We talked and we listened to each other.  It was during these times that we not only learned more about our immediate family, but we learned about what was going on in each other's lives too.  I learned about my parents jobs and things that were going on in the world around us.  Here is where I also learned about "common sense" things that I take for granted that everyone knows today.  

Computers and technology might make more information available at our fingertips, but it's not making most people smarter.  

So, with those thoughts floating around in my head while listening to the news, the reporter went on to give helpful hints to parents who might have a problem talking to their kids...not a problem because a difficult subject needs to be dealt with, but a problem with basic communication skills.  They even recommended places to go where parents can get an actual list of questions that they can ask their kids.  And I wish I was joking, but one of the questions was, "How was your day?" Seriously?  What a sad state our society is in when we need to take lessons on how to have a real face-to-face conversation with another human being.



I did a little research and supposedly Einstein did not say this quote, even though many people credit him with doing so, 

I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.

but whoever did was a genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment